-

-

Monday, July 27, 2015

I get to study chemistry again :)‏












Hola Familia y Amigos! 
It has been another great week for me. A challenging one, but those
tend to be some of the best from the things I learn. Hermana Olsen and
I have been working hard on figuring out a way to help the people we
teach in the streets become investigators. 'Coincidentally' this is
what our zone conference this past week was on. We talked a lot about
teaching the message of the restoration to others in a way that they
will be spiritually hungry and thirsty to want to hear more. I'm
really realizing the importance of the Spirit - it is when others feel
the spirit during lessons that they will be spiritually hungry and
thirsty and want more. We are continually focusing on this. 
One day last week, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was not in a very
good mood. It was hot. I was tired. We had been in the streets for at
least 2 hours, and not received a single number. We sat on a bench to
make a few calls, and I started to complain a bit. 30 seconds later we
stood up to start contacting again as a mom with her kids walked by.
Immediately after stopping her she said she had to get home but we
could stop by there at any time and gave us her address and number. I
bet you can imagine I felt dumb for complaining, and had to say a
little prayer of gratitude to Heavenly Father. I know He is aware of
me and Hermana Olsen in all aspects. 
We also got two cool new investigators. One, Antonio, we contacted
about a week and a half ago then taught him this past week. He is
really interested in learning the difference between our church and
others and our first lesson went really well. The other, Homer, we
just contacted on Friday and taught him a short lesson then he came to
church yesterday. Sacrament meeting was about the importance of family
and raising kids in the gospel, etc. one member gave a great talk and
testimony. After, Homer told us it really affected him because of his
current family situation. I often find myself worrying Sundays about
if our investigators are going to come, and then if they will
understand and enjoy the meetings, have a good experience, etc. I need
to remember to have faith that as they feel the Spirit in the meetings
they will hear and learn what they need to, just as Homer did. 
This week has also been an awesome week for Karen. First of all... She
went to the temple Saturday with the ward!!! And LOVED it! It was so
wonderful hearing her speak about her experience. And when she came
out of the interview with the bishop she just held the recommend up
high and had a huge grin on her face. :) Also, she has been more
curious about the life of Joseph Smith recently so we decided to watch
the full length video with her and talk for awhile. Her and David and
Alison loved it. It was a great lesson. In preparation, I read a few
talks about Joseph Smith. Two, The Path to Palmyra
(https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/06/the-path-to-palmyra?lang=eng) and
The Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon
(https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/07/the-coming-forth-of-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng)
are amazing. If you haven't read them yet, I recommend them. I know
that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God called to restore the fullness
of the gospel to the earth. And I know that the Book of Mormon is
truly the word of God and that by living by the principles it teaches
we can reach our full potential and gain eternal life. 
I have also had a little more time to interact with the Pack family,
the family of my mission president. We had interviews this week with
President Pack and he gave me some great advice. They also come to our
ward Sundays so I get to see them there. Also, their daughter Caroline
is going to be going to a British school here and the curriculum is
different so she is currently a year behind in chemistry. They'd been
praying to have someone here be able to help catch her up, so I bet
you can imagine who they asked when they found out I've graduated in
chemical engineering. It's a huge blessing to be able to recognize
when you're an answer to other people's prayers. I know that our
prayers are often answered through others. Anyway, I get to start
helping her during Medio Dias. We only have met once to basically make
a game plan and I was loving reading from a chemistry book again! I
love my mission, but really miss school too. 
Love you tons! I hope you've all had a great week! 
Les Quiero! 
Hermana Bingham 

1. Hermana Olsen and I celebrated our 6 months eating out with some
other missionaries
2. We ate with the Larsens yesterday. Always delicious. This week they found root beer in an American store so we had root beer floats. So American. So good.
3. We went to pizza with Andy for pday today

No comments:

Post a Comment